Another “lost” local broadcaster story. This may be stretching the “Albany” part a bit, but its signal was visible here and its programs listed in our newspapers.
WMGT (Mt. Greylock Television), North Adams/Pittsfield, rode the first wave of UHF allocations when the FCC removed its freeze on new licenses. Put together by Leon Podolsky, an engineer at Sprague Electric Company of North Adams, the station was assigned to channel 74. After several delays, it hit the airwaves early in 1954, broadcasting from 6-10 pm every night. It had a smattering of programs from ABC and the DuMont network, but mostly it was old movies, puppet shows, and kinescopes of several dull series. This ungodly-high-number channel was not well received on equipment of the day (you needed a set-top converter box and antenna), and later that year WMGT paid off a Utica applicant for its channel 19 allocation; for the first time, the broadcaster put in a respectable signal to the Capital District.
The station limped along with limited programming throughout 1955. At the time, its only competitors were WRGB (6) and WROW-TV (41); WTRI (35) having lost its CBS affiliation to WROW-TV, had left the air.
In February of 1956, a winter storm with hurricane-force winds destroyed WMGT’s antenna and tower, atop Mt. Greylock. Reconstruction would have to wait until the snows cleared in the spring. In the meantime, WTRI had come back on the air, snagging ABC, the last remaining network affiliation.
The FCC was about to grant WROW-TV (now WCDA) VHF channel 10, which would leave WTRI and WMGT in the UHF ghetto (UHF converter sales plummeted upon the announcement). After having sunk over $1,000,000 into the station, Podolsky threw in the towel, selling channel 19 to WCDA for $379,206, the sale approved almost a year to the date from its catastrophic accident. The station returned to the air as WCDC, relaying the programs of Channel 10, which it does to this day, on digital channel 36.